Air Quality Complaint Center
Clean air is healthy air – and healthy air is critical to our health and well-being, and that of our families. If you notice an air quality problem in your community – such as asbestos, wood smoke, dust, or odor – please submit a complaint. We can respond to complaints in King, Kitsap, Pierce or Snohomish counties. To submit a complaint in another county, locate the responsible agency on this map.
IMPORTANT: Your complaint will become a public record. Being a public agency, we are required by our regulations and state law to provide access to your complaint (and contact information) if someone submits a request. To learn about filing an anonymous complaint, visit our Frequently Asked Questions.
If your complaint is due to a neighbor’s actions, we find that neighbor-to-neighbor communication can be more effective than regulatory action. Many times people are just not aware that their behavior is bothering anyone. We are happy to provide you with information to share with your neighbor(s), or you can download materials from our web site.
Call 9-1-1 if you or someone else needs immediate medical attention due to an air quality problem.
How to submit a complaint
There are three ways to submit an air quality complaint with the Clean Air Agency. Please choose one of the following:
1) ONLINE – For the fastest way to submit a complaint, complete one of the following complaint forms:
Online complaint forms:
- Burn Ban Violation
- Business visible emission
- Dust nuisance
- Gasoline station nozzle leak
- Odor nuisance
- Residential chimney smoke
- Ship smoke
For outdoor fires, contact your local fire department or call 9-1-1. For other air quality issues, please see Other Contacts.
*Complete the Burn Ban Violation complaint form when an air quality burn ban is in effect (see the top right corner for burn ban status). If there is no air quality burn ban, please complete the Residential Chimney Smoke complaint form.
2) PHONE – Prepare the complaint details (see below), then call our air quality complaint line at 800-552-3565, ext. 6. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, our answering service will assist you.
3) MAIL – Provide the following complaint details and mail your complaint to: Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, Inspection Department, 1904 Third Avenue, Suite 105, Seattle, WA, 98101.
- Your contact information, name, daytime telephone number, address.
- Date and time of air quality concern. Mention if it is currently in progress.
- Name and location of air quality concern. Include county, ZIP code and whether this is near your home or workplace.
If you have any questions or comments, contact the Inspection Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-552-3565.